In 1503 the bridge was rebuilt in stone, but collapsed and was rebuilt in wood. In 1508 the City Council asked the Architect Fra’ Giocondo to superintend the construction of the Roman bridge. On 25 April 1945 the bridge was mined by the retreating Germans and was blown up. Only the first arch on the right bank remained standing. In 1957 the first stone was laid for the reconstruction of the arches destroyed and finally, on 7 March 1959, the bridge was inaugurated, to crown an extremely faithful reconstruction.
Architecture and Art. The bridge blown up by the Germans had five arches of different sizes: the two towards the left bank of the Adige were Roman and built of stone; of the other three, the one closest to the right bank was still the one built in 1298, while the other two had been rebuilt in 1520.
In the Roman part there were apertures similar to elongated windows. A round hole was located above the third piling, in the middle of the bridge.
The Stone Bridge can be considered a programme of constructions from different époques.