Around mid 1st century A.D., The Arch was built to honour several members of the Gens Gavia, an illustrious family that may have been of Veronese origin. The site was chosen with care, on a road of great transit, the Postumia, at the margins of the plateau where the city could develop: the precise point where it rose is marked by a grey marble rectangle that is visible from the roadway.
During medieval times the arch became a city gate and included the scala walls and Clock Tower of Castelvecchio.
The entire base of the arch is under the level of the roadway, except for a corner that is visible from the castle moat.
The Arch was one of the roman monuments of Verona that was most widely studied and admired during the renaissance.
In 1805, the French Military Engineers decreed its demolition, to improve the transitability of the course of military mule trains.
The Arch stones lay for decades piled first in Citadella Square and later under the Arena arches.
Finally the Arch was rebuilt, with its authentic pieces, in 1932, alongside Castel vecchio and facing the Adige, not far from its original location.
Architecture and Art. The construction is entirely of white Veronese stone, probably from the Valpolicella.
Despite its vicissitudes, the Arch is one of the rare surviving examples, in our territory, of a meaningful type of construction in the history of Roman architecture. Although the arch was often cited in archaeological literature and has been the subject of specific study, its architectural form and dating have continued to fuel lively discussion among scholars.