Ponte Scaligero (Ponte di Castelvecchio) - Verona - Italy

Login / Registration
Paolo Groppo - Copyright
Paolo Groppo - Copyright
travelitalia

Ponte Scaligero (Ponte di Castelvecchio)

Historical notes
Scaliger Bridge, also called the Ponte di Castelvecchio, is celebrated by historians as "the most audacious and wondrous works of the Middle Ages in Verona." Completed within three years, almost certainly between 1354 and 1356, was built by order of the Cangrande, which aims to ensure its stronghold on the river rising a separate escape (od'accoglienza relief) to the Tyrol, where he reigned his son Louis of Bavaria. The manufacturer's name is shrouded in mystery. A document of 1495 indicates that as the Bevilacqua, who designed the castle. Some scholars have suggested instead, on the basis of the many similarities between the bridge of Castelvecchio and the Ship, a common authorship, attributed to John Ferrara and James of Gozo, but no documents support this theory.
His strength allowed to cross the bridge, virtually intact, five centuries of history and the most severe spate. In 1802, after the Peace of Luneville, the French beat the tower, which stood on the left side of the river and removed or a large part of walled battlements. In 1824 they proceeded to the restoration of the main pylon, partially eroded by the course of the current, while ten years later the walls were restored and reopened the roads.
For the majestic giant medieval, the end would come the evening of April 25, 1945, by the explosion of German mines. The reconstruction works began in February 1949, was completed in 1951. The rebuilt bridge is very faithful to the original.

Architecture
Whoever designed, it has done a wonderful job. Prodigiously daring for the times, it was the right arch, with a span of nearly fifty feet, twenty-nine against twenty-four of the other two. The bottom of the article, up to four meters above the current ordinary was of white marble and red, the remainder of terracotta bricks. Also the two massive pylons. The major was enriched by fifteen Corinthian capitals and fragments of Roman bas-reliefs, whose presence has been, in past centuries, confirming the seniority held on site of a Roman bridge: this hypothesis, however, has never been confirmed in any feedback objective, neither archaeological nor documentary.
The bridge, whose internal path was longer than four hundred feet, and off more than seven, was equipped with battlements equipped with trenches, with slits in the pylons. At its ends, finally, two high towers.
Automatic translation by Google
Source: Notiziario BPV numero 1 anno 1998

Share "Ponte Scaligero (Ponte di Castelvecchio)" on facebook!

Ponte Scaligero (Ponte di Castelvecchio) - Comments [0]

 

Add comment


Name
Surname
Email (will not be published)
Comment
Enter the security code shown below*
 
Do you want to receive an email alert for every new comment?
No Yes

* This is to prevent unauthorized automated scripts.